Monday, November 17, 2008

Fun Fun Fun: Brian Wilson concert.

So, I went to see Brian Wilson in concert last night.

Good for me, the concert was nowhere near full, so my entire section of people in the way back the management let set up in a section like twenty rows ahead of where we were. The entire time, though, I kept thinking, "I hope he doesn't take this to heart and this makes him break down again," so whenever he asked the audience to sing along or clap, I damn well did it, even though I hate that shit, since I feared the consequences.

Some of his motions to the music were really herky-jerky too, like one time when the lyric was something about love surrounding whatever, and he lifted both hands up and did this quick swat in, to make a gesture for "surround".

Anyhow, I particularly liked how during the intermission and after the concert, they had muzak arrangements of a lot of Brian Wilson songs, including his recent stuff, done in such a creative way that I bet he arranged them himself.

I also liked how he had a 16-piece band -- the sound was very full, and even though his voice wasn't the best, since he had written everything, you had to take the music in full as being him, and not just his voice, so it made you admire him all the more. I like how he must eat up a lot of money on tour to have that many musicians travel with him, but he does it anyways since he likes the sound (he must, that must be the reason).

It was interesting, too, how before the song "Add Some Music to Your Day", which I always thought had really cheesy lyrics, Brian Wilson was like, "Listen to this song, it has nice lyrics." All of a sudden when it was talking about hearing music when you're in the dentist's chair, or when kids go up to an ice cream truck passing by, I realized that that must be how Brian Wilson sees the world, and that he must really be lifted up by the incidental music of life like that.

Overall, though, I wasn't a fan of his new album, "That Lucky Old Sun". It didn't quite cohere, except for the last three songs, which were breath-takingly beautiful and about his mental illness, and I hate to say I liked them, since I hate it when someone prostitutes their life so clearly like that, and plus if they did that and the song sucked, you kind of are in this situation where you have to like the song because it's about them and their troubles (though the last three songs didn't suck, they were quite good, I just hate the possibility of a guilt trip making me like a song).

No comments: