Monday, November 17, 2008

Dance Dance Dance: How could I forget?

How could I forget? It wasn't until last night at the Brian Wilson concert that I suddenly remembered, when I was at a conference a few weekends ago I ran into this one early 50s black prof whose work I had read, twice!

The first time I was rushing off to a panel in this tucked-away, distant room I had never been to before, and the hotel layout was confusing, and this one taller shrimpy white guy was stopped talking to this shorter black woman for directions to the same room, and it was her! I stopped and was like, "Now where is this room?", and after she told us, I tried to introduce myself since I really want to get to know her better and was like, "I think we met at a panel last year," and she just shook her head and was like, "Ump-uh, ump-uh," and she shooed me away and was like, "Not now, now now you're gonna be late," and when I still tried to re-introduce myself, she just kept being like, "Not now, not now."

That night, after hitting some receptions, I went to the main dance party at the conference, and all the older profs were out on the dance floor since they were playing oldies. I can't remember at the moment what song it was, but that same professor was out there by herself, doing this cool dance move where she had one foot planted and the other stomping, and with her opposite hand just kind of thrust her fist in the air. Later, she danced with some (black) friends her age to "Dancing Queen", and when the DJ was like, "And now, for the second time tonight, by request, 'The Electric Slide'!", she was out there with like forty other old professor doing the dance in tandem. I couldn't take my eyes away, and stayed around even though I was dog-tired just to watch everyone dance, and especially her.

No comments: