Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Walked around the neighborhood today.

An international friend was in town, so I showed her around the neighborhood today.

We went for pancakes at the one cafeteria that gave free food till noon the day after the Election in a "Breakfast on Obama" promotion, and I asked one of the black counterladies how that went.

"Whoo Lord," she was like.

"So there was a lot of people who showed up?", I asked, and she was like, "I couldn't even count them."

When I mentioned that I had heard Obama had showed up himself, she talked to another black counterlady right by her without even turning her head and was like, "Hear that? There's a rumor going 'round that Obama showed up."

When I was eating the pancakes, I noticed out the window that this second-story beauty salon with this electronic sign has a new rotaing posting on it:

HAIR BRAIDING

then

WAXING

then

EYEBROW

then

THREADING

then

JESUS

then

LOVES YOU

I also took her by the one shop where I get all my t-shirts and buttons, and though the owner wasn't there, saddly, just some English woman I've never met before, but my friend rifled through a rack of t-shirts I never looked through, and all of a sudden she pulled out this 4XL shirt on sale for $10 that was like -

VOTE FOR THE BRUTHA MAN

[picture of Obama smiling next to a checked box]

NOT!

FOR THE OTHER MAN

[picture of a sour-looking McCain with a big crossed circle over his face]

"Wow!", my friend was like, "I don't know anyone that big!"

After that, we went by Obama's house, and there was even more security than when I had been by there the week before the election; they now have even more of a whole nother street blocked off, too; and after that, campus, then we said farewell.

No comments: