Monday, April 21, 2008

Backpacks toasters and waste.

Everyday I see people around campus with a small satchel or no backpacks, and I'm always like, "Who are these people who can go around campus all day with no shit to lug around?"

My toaster broke a few days ago, so I've been microwaving my bread in the morning as a stop-gap measure. It's crusty and heated and yeasty in all the wrong ways, and just the smell of it is enough to make me vomit even before I slap on some hummus and the smell of both blends with that of the strong coffee I always drink every morning to start off the day, but I'm not sure what else to do. I went to the hardware store today to buy a new toaster, but they only had white plastic ones except for the black-and-chrome display model, and while did want that model toaster to match my 50s chrome kitchen I didn't want to get the display model since it might be messed up, so now I have to wait till Friday till they get more toasters in.

Looking at toasters put me on a home improvement kick, though, so this morning I hunted down two clear shower curtains and threw out my old white, opaque moldy ones, and my bathroom is already filled with a soft natural light coming in from the frosted window in the bathroom. All I need now is a bathmat, a toaster, and ten of those clear-zipper bags old ladies store afghans in for my ten sweaters I need to store away for the summer, and I'm all set with my apartment for a while.

But, throwing away my toaster and my shower curtains this morning almost killed me. I'm just not used to throwing away a massive amount of shit at one time. Since I've had my Danish haven, the throwing out of stuff (toasters, shower curtains, sponges) has just killed me. I always wonder how people live with themselves who throw out a lot of shit everyday, or very frequently. They must not think about it or not just give a fuck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need a new toaster oven.