Sunday, March 2, 2008

Went to karaoke on Friday.

So, I went to karaoke on Friday with my friends, to the gyros lounge place where I hadn't been at karaoke since this fall. The music tends to country, so I sang the Parton version of "I Will Always Love You", and though I was a little hesitant on the verses, I was strong going into the chorus.

"Wow," the host said, who was wearing a cowboy hat, "I've never heard that sung by a man before."

He then said that a man wrote it anyways, and then I had to be a dick and correct him in front of everyone that no, Dolly actually wrote it, and then to make it worse he was like, "But I thought some guy wrote it," and I had to be an even bigger dick and insist again that no, Dolly actually wrote it, so, while the song was good, the banter afterwards turned into a big heap of awfulness, which wasn't ideal, to say the least, since I came off as an obnoxious know-it-all prick.

Anyhow, my friends sang country as well -- the one who sings Dylan sang "Positively 4th Street" and "Just Like a Woman", while my one other friend who likes to sing the Association's "Along Comes Mary" sang Ronnie Milsap's "Smokey Mountain Rain", which she was nervous about since it's sung by a man, though it turned out just fine... Both them and me got slow-clapped by a table in the corner - they all liked the way we sang, so after each song they nodded appreciatively and began a slow clap that picked up speed a little bit into robust slow applause, nothing too speedy.

Patrice and Cathy were waitressing again, and Cathy had lost her voice. Patrice tried to clear my whiskey and I was like, "Oh no, there's still a little bit left," so she grimaced and put it back down, and then was a smart ass and took up the empty pitcher on the table and poured what was left in it (that is, nothing) into my beer glass.

(Sometimes I feel like I have issues with Patrice and Cathy, though I can never quite put my finger on it; it's like all of us know we should be getting along better than we should and we try for it, but we never quite gel. I'll have to think about that more. They definitely brought us the free hors d'oeuvres, though, including a slice of shitty salty pizza right at the end of the night, though unfortunately I was one drink behind where it would have tasted good. )

On another note, my one friend who likes to sing the Association's "Along Comes Mary" was saying how back when she used to work in period clothing at a Shaker Village historic site, she used to think the blacksmiths were cool, until she found out that they weren't actually making farm equipment or nails or horseshoes or whatever the hell Shaker blacksmiths used to make, but rather, since they were (her words:) "all a bunch of fucking gamers", while the tourists watched, they'd be making dragon-mail breastplates for their girlfriends so all the other gamer girlfriends would envy them at the next big D&D gathering that month.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Do your friends read this?

Also, defending Dolly is something to be proud of.

el blogador said...

No. I try to keep my blog readership apart from those who I blog about (though I try to never say anything about those who I blog about that I wouldn't say to their face).

People think that Dolly is just big tits and big hair, but she's so much more than that.