Friday, January 4, 2008

Insight into fundamentalists.

I've been reading Nancy Ammerman's Bible Believers: Fundamentalists in the Modern World, a qualitative sociological study from 1987 where she observed church life at an unnamed fundamentalist church in the northeast U.S. and did a lot of interviews and then tried to show what the fundamentalist worldview is like. I found this excerpt, from one of Ammerman's interviews with a churchmember "Janet", interesting:

My brother used to be like number one in my life. He was very close with me... We're almost on different ends of the spectrum now, whereas we were very close being brought up. He just doesn't understand now why certain things have to be left out, whereas I don't understand why he has to include certain things... To be able to say 'no' to him, 'No, Ken, I'm not going to go,' is very hard for me, very, very hard. Music in our family was just always there, and jazz, and I was really caught up in it. I was crying when I was breaking my beautiful jazz albums. I was crying. I mean, here I am still calling them beautiful; I can see that I still have a problem. It's something I know is not good in my life. The Lord has show me that, but it's taken concentrated effort to always keep away from it. I have to stay very close to the Lord, and if I falter at all with it, you know, with my walk with the Lord, then I definitely want all of a sudden to play around, or I definitely want to have a drink, or I definitely want to go hear my brother play.

I found it interesting, too, that a lot of churchmembers' family members who weren't in the church would try to push drinks on them at family functions, or joke with them and be like, "Hey, be a dear and make me a drink," and then laugh when they'd refuse to.

3 comments:

JUSIPER said...

What's wrong with instrumental music? It's not like there are any lyrics in it. I could understand if fundamentalistic religions preached absolute renunciation from all worldly pleasures, but they don't at all--indeed, they tend to celebrate majoritarian pleasures and substitute vetted pleasures (Christian Rock) for others. They are caught in fucked up religions.

el blogador said...

This church disapproved even of Christian rock.

el blogador said...
This comment has been removed by the author.