Sunday, August 12, 2007

Banned songs -- YOU MUST HEAR THESE.

On Saturday afternoon me and my friend went to a local museum devoted to free speech. As part of their exhibit, they had this interactive exhibit where you could listen to songs from each decade from the 50s to the present that have been banned for some reason or another. The two best were

1) Loretta Lynn's ode to birth control "The Pill", which has fantastic lyrics like

"miniskirts, hot pants and a few little fancy frills/
yeah I'm makin' up for all those years/
since I've got the pill"

and

2) Phil Ochs's folksy burlesque of societal indifference, "Outside a Small Circle of Friends", which also has great lyrics, like

"Look outside the window, there's a woman being grabbed/
they've dragged her to the bushes and now she's being stabbed/
maybe we should call the cops and try to stop the pain/
but Monopoly is so much fun, I'd hate to blow the game."

I also found out this song I've always known but never knew the name of is Janis Ian's "Society's Child", the video of which I linked to is from the Smother Brothers Comedy Hour and has elicited user comments like:

thank you thank you thank you..so many excellent songs like this helped me get through when i was young....what an amazing time back then, full of rebellion and promise..todays kids (i never thought I would ever start a sentece that way) have pap for music....

No comments: