Saturday, August 4, 2007

Another person: On the train.

When I was on the train last night, I was drifting off to sleep and all of a sudden I heard this heavy bass beat from a radio in an other quiet car. I could see some other people looking around too, and I tried to lay back for a while, but finally I decided to stroll up the car and see what the heck was going on. Anyways, like six seats up on the opposite side of the car there was this really big black woman laying back in her seat and holding her cell phone up to her ear and playing music on it. I asked her nicely if she could turn her music down, and she was super nice and said she was sorry she bothered me, and that was it.

A few hours later, though, after I had woken up and went to go see what time the train would arrive -- we were slightly delayed -- I ran into her when I was coming back to the car, and she started apologizing and telling me how she really wanted to sleep and she sleeps to music, but all she had was her cell phone on her, so she decided to play that and was hoping no one would hear. We started talking, and it turns out that she was coming in to Chicago from Jackson for the weekend and was getting ready to stay out to 4am that night with her friend and had been pre-gaming by drinking appletinis on the train from a thermos. "We be a hot mess come Sunday," she was like," 'cause I got my walking shoes on." She also told me how she always feels like a tourist riding the elevated subway, and this time she told her friend that she wants to go on the part of the subway that goes underground.

No comments: