Saturday, August 4, 2007

One person: At a Jamaican restaurant.

Yesterday after the conference got out I went down a sidestreet in Ann Arbor to a Jamaican restaurant I had seen from a street I was always walking down to get to the conference. There was this young kid sitting outside at a table drinking a glass of water and just watching the world go by, and when I went to go in the restaurant, he asked if I needed some help. It turns out that he's the owner and has had the place for five years ever since he moved to the U.S. from Jamaica and he works there everyday all day long, usually ten or eleven hours. The place was kind of hot and had a tv going and he was telling me that he lets people sit there as long as they want and never kicks them out, because he's trying to have the only laidback place you can eat in the entire city. It was like this little piece of Jamaica had been transported to a sidestreet, I swear. I really love how he was just sitting outside drinking a glass of water all day on a not-all-that busy street, not listening to the radio or reading a magazine or anything like that. The guy lived upstairs from his restaurant too.

No comments: