Saturday, June 15, 2024

Another customer the other week at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now:

A (short) (late 50s) (Irish-accented) man who is part of a five-top, and when he and his (thin-faced) (Camilla Parker-Bowles-haired) wife order and I hear their accents, I ask them if they are (Irish), and he says yes, three of them there are, and the other two are American, and I'm like, “I thought you were going to say that yes, three of you are Irish, and the other two are unlucky,” and when I heard a chuckle from him but I also saw some other people’s heads snap back and turn to look at me, I was like, “Sorry!”, and he was like, “Well, *I* don’t mind,” and then later when they were asking me what crab rangoons were, I explained to them the history of them as part of South Seas-inspired cuisine following the return of American navymen from the Second World War, and they got some, and later when I check in on them and how their apps are, I ask specifically “And so how are the crab rangoons,” and he looks up at me dramatically and throws up one finger into the air and puts on an angry voice and is like, “Inauthentic!”

No comments: