Saturday, January 13, 2024

Puzzle drama (1 of 3): Puzzles.

 For a while at work at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, I was taking in a puzzle magazine to work, and we’d do puzzles there, like word searches or other stuff, especially stuff where you didn’t have to know English to solve it.

Though, I have to say, my one (older) (Thai) coworker who’s a whiz at the phones said that she wasn’t good with English puzzles, and yet she really took to some.

Like, one was arranging different combinations of letters to spell 5-letter body parts, and she kept criticizing my guesses like “WRIST” since she said the puzzle answers we had gotten to that point were all body-internal parts, and that  WRIST isn’t inside your body.

Then, after we did this on and off for like an hour and we weren’t getting anywhere and we had drifted off to mope around and do other stuff, suddenly she was like, “SPINE!”, and yes, she was right, she had gotten another one.

“See, inside,” she was like, to me.

On another occasion she also told me in so many words that my one intricate logic puzzle strategy that I had taught her was off, and it only works under certain conditions.

It had messed her up a bit, and she had to look up the answers and re-enter that part of the puzzle, rather than erase it all and start from the beginning, which would have taken a lot of time.

No comments: