Tuesday, January 9, 2024

A (Thai) coworker, on Catherine Deneuve.

Like last month or so at the (Thai) restaurant where I work now, I was telling my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker about the Umbrellas of Cherbourg because I had recently heard a bit of music from it and it made me think about it all over again -- I've seen it twice on the big screen, and would go out right now and see it again this second, if it was playing somewhere -- and then, because it stars a young Catherine Deneuve, I started talking about it with my one (Thai) coworker who's a whiz at the phones, since she likes classic mid-20th c. culture and stars like Audrey Hepburn and stuff like that.

And, she didn't know who Catherine Deneuve was, so I had to pull up pictures on my phone to show her.

"She is very basic," she was like. "She looks like anyone."

. . .

(I asked more, and she just said that she's blond and pretty, but looks like anyone...  You have to wonder, could this be that thing, where [white] people look alike to [Asians], and vice-versa?)

No comments: