Saturday, January 20, 2024

An exchange with my one (Pentecostal) (Guatemalan) coworker…

 …at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, after he’s draining the deep-fryer and there’s this gigantic metal pot of extremely hot oil sitting out on the kitchen counter where we assemble takeout:

Him (in English, to practice, though he also has an important message to give me): “Be careful, it is hot.”

Me (running around doing something): “Okay.”

. . .

Me (a few minutes later, when things slow down, as I gesture to the gigantic metal pot of extremely hot oil and talk to him very slowly in English, to give him practice, as I also put on an ingenuous persona): “[His first name], what did you say? Do you want me to drink it?”

Him (looking me dead in the eye and very seriously, and also in English, to practice): “Yes, I said that I want you to drink it. I want you to drink it all.”

. . .

(Later, I rested my hand on the spot on the metal counter top where the gigantic metal pot of extremely hot oil was, and it surprised me, the metal there was still so hot that it almost burned my hand, though not quite, although the pot hadn't been resting there for quite a while.)

No comments: