Sunday, January 21, 2024

Christmas at work (1 of 3): Fun.

So, in the lead-up to Christmas at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker bought a Santa hat and 2 pairs of reindeer antler headgears and left them around for people to wear.

And, I started wearing the Santa hat all the time, and I’d go to customers’s tables, give them water, and be like, “Ho ho ho, water for everyone!”

Whenever I’d pass a (Guatemalan) coworker in the kitchen, too, I’d say to them, “Permis-ho ho ho” (i.e., a combination of the [Spanish] saying for ‘excuse me’ with Santa’s signature exclamation).

Once, too, I was by a table of three (young) (Chinese from China) (graduate) students, and when I delivered my water with my “ho ho ho” greeting, the one (guy) was like, “Ho ho ho, thank you.”

(I like him!, I thought.)

I also said something about coal for a gift, and I just got blank stares, and so I explained to them that there’s a tradition that good children get gifts for Christmas, but bad children get coal.

“Coal, like you burn?”, said one of the two (female) students, after like ten seconds.

“Yes,” I was like.

Later, too, when my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker had the reindeer antlers on, I told her that she needed red on her nose to be like Rudolph.

“Maybe egg roll sauce,” I was like, and she laughed, as did my one (tall) (new) (Thai) coworker, who was standing right there.

“Or,” I was like, “We can use a maraschino cherry,” which we have for this chocolate cake thing that we have on the dessert menu and that we have to prepare using the microwave.

“But how do you attach it?”, she was like.

And, that flummoxed me for a very little bit, but then I reached over towards the printer that we use for takeout orders, grabbed the stapler, held it up, and was like, “Lean down here on the counter.”

And, my one (tall) (new) (Thai) coworker’s eyes just got really wide, and she just laughed and laughed while covering her mouth, and seemed in some disbelief at the implication of the joke.

No comments: