Saturday, January 27, 2024

Some (Thai) In-jokes, with vocal titles.

So, at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, I learned this basic (I think?) fact about the (Thai) language, that you call someone who’s older than you “Pi-“, and someone who’s younger than you “Nong-“.

(For someone who’s radically younger than you like a small girl or a small boy, you can also say “Nong Leck,” which I applied humorously to my one [younger] [very tall] [Latino-American coworker], once, to great delight from my coworkers, and we now repeat that occasionally.)

So, since one my one (older) (Thai) coworker who’s a whiz at the phones does Pilates, I decided to make a joke of it, and said something about “Pi-[her name] has a friend, Pi-lates.”

At first my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker and my one (tall) (new) (Thai) coworker didn’t like that, so, like I often do, I repeated the joke.

Like, when she was getting off shift early, I was like, “Now she is going to have some quality time with Pi-lates,” which they liked better.

Later, too, I made up a scenario and was like, “Do you think she is embarrassed about us? She has a friend Pi-lates, but she never brings Pi-lates to the restaurant.”

I also was saying something about how maybe Pi-lates was in poor health, since she always sees her once a week at the same time in the afternoon, and that’s when hospitals have visiting hours.

They liked both of those jokes, too.

No comments: