Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Sunflower seed experiment, redux.

Like midway through last summer, I noticed that the local library near me has a free seed library where you can grab seeds and plant them and give some back on the honor system eventually, although they also have a sign up specifying that it's okay if you don't.

So, I grabbed like three packs of sunflower seeds, and I tried firing them in the ground around my cottage.

But, it was late in the season, and I was kind of not all that serious about it, and nothing came up.

But, I saved the seed packets and googled on what else I could do, and so now I've been sprouting them indoors to try that this year, to give them a head start before I go put them outdoors when the weather is warm enough at night for them to survive and grow.

Like, I put a paper napkin out on a plate, and then some seeds on top of that, and then another napkin on top of all of that, so that the seeds are sandwiched between the paper napkins.

And, I moisten it all and try to keep it moist, and I try to keep it in the sun as much as I can, like by my one south window during the earlier part of the day, and by a west window afterwards.

Some of the seeds sprouted, too, so I put a second napkin section on the other half of the plate, and began some more there, too.

I want a lot ready to go so I can experiment with where they'll thrive, in case I can't get it right at first.

Seeds sprouting really is a mysterious thing. You can see where religion comes from, and parables. They're just like there, and then one day, there's life. It's all very mysterious.

No comments: