Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Restaurant events the other day:

 1) I wake up after my third or fourth alarm and it's 10:25am, so I have to hurry and throw the coffee on and eat an apple so I can get to the restaurant and open it on time at eleven. When I reach the kitchen sink, a mildly unwashed bowl is sitting out that I had put a sliced orange in and eaten from the night before and it's swarming with ants, like easily twenty-five to thirty of them just within the surface of the bowl, so I take the spritzer bottle of rubbing alcohol that I use to clean my smartphone screen, spray them with it, and then set the bowl down in the sink to soak some, with some Dawn dishsoap in it and water poured over the top. I unthinkingly leave my front curtains closed, depriving my sunflower seeds of their much-needed daily mid-day sun.

2) At the restaurant, I set out the new umbrellas we have to replace the broken ones, and later when I'm serving some people, one empty rice bowl looks dirty like there's some residue from egg roll sauce over the back part of it, before I realize that that's the sun shining down through the muted red fabric umbrella and onto the white bowl.

3) A (serious) (old guy) with a beard and a (mop-hatted) (very thin) (loud-talking) (late middle-aged) (white) woman come in and order a bunch of appetizers as their meal, the (white) woman insisting that she wants Spicy Level 2 and not 1, she doesn't want White Woman Spice.  As I walk around, I hear her talking to the man about her Percocet prescription, and then later she accosts me from the table and asks if we have yogurt or anything like that that people order and eat when they ordered too hot, and I say no, and before they leave, I look over, and she has her chair pulled back and her head is dipping down and her arms are crossed across her chest with clenched fists, much like a corpse being wrapped up for mummification.

4) Three (townie) (white) women are in, two (middle-aged) and one (old), all in summer white and all with all of their hairstyles "just so," and the one orders a shrimp and steamed vegetable dish -- lunch-special portion, but not regular portion -- and then asks if we can add more vegetables to it. When I say that that costs extra and is around the same price as the dish off the regular menu, she's quickly like, "No, that's okay, it's fine"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Es una buena idea vender yogurt para los gringos que no soportan la comida picante.