Saturday, May 20, 2023

A new habit of my (Guatemalan) coworkers.

Whenever they're around me, or rather a lot of the time when they're around me, some of my (Guatemalan) workers refer to my running joke that I had started with the one a few months ago, but now they just go and mutter, "Diablo" ("devil").

Like, one is starting to wipe down the industrial refrigerator at the end of the night and I'm over by there, and without looking at me, he just mutters, "Diablo."

Or, one is ferrying out a rack of washed glasses and passes by me in the little hallway that leads to the kitchen, and he goes by with a smile and looks at me and is like, "!Diablo!"

Sometimes I say "Diablo" to them, but sometimes it lands, and sometimes it doesn't.

Though, the other day one was wearing red and was out by the tables for take-out with another one, and so I pointed to him and turned to the other one and was like, "Rojo, como un diablo" ('Red, like a devil').

And, they both laughed at that.

So, I guess that worked, as a joke.

But still, it's a little weird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Señor: Ésta Bloga es magnífica. Le felicito.