Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Two customers with issues...

 ...the other day at the (Thai) restaurant during the lunch shift:

1) My (chubby) (Thai) coworker sets the free side salads down fast during a very busy rush of customers, and the bowl of one bangs on the glass table in front of this one (older) (South) Asian customer with (darker) skin and a (bald) head who was there with a (white) guy and who had ordered some curry.

"Don't be mad at me!", he was like, to my coworker.

"I am sorry, sir, it was an accident, I am busy," she was like, to him.

And, he picked up his hand, and raised it towards her and shook his finger at her, with a furrowed brow and a decently mad look on his face.

2) This one (plump) (middle-aged) (black) lady with strange mannerisms but who was otherwise pleasant goes to load her curry in the plastic takeout bin and dumps a lot of the leftover rice in it -- she ate most of the curry, but barely any of the rice -- and then asks if I can get a bit more curry sauce from the back for her.

(It was obvious she wanted more curry to even out the leftover rice, so she'd have another better-balanced meal later.)

"I don't think that's possible, ma'am," I was like, explaining in so many words that we don't have a pot of curry just sitting out in the back that we can just go and scoop some sauce out of, but it's made fresh for each order by combining a lot of ingredients and they have to cook it in a pan for a while, and they can't really do that for someone to have some extra sauce, because it takes a lot of time and at that point it's really a whole separate order.

"It's dry," she was like, at that point just making sh*t up to make it sound like she was unhappy, though she really just wanted extra for free.

So, I was like, "I think that's the case, but I can check for you," I was like.

And, she nodded at that, and so I did go and check, and what I thought was the case was indeed the case.

So, to try to mollify her when I got back, I started to explain to her that since she didn't want any onions etc. in her curry, the next time she could request extra sauce at the beginning of the order and there wouldn't be any surcharge for that since it's a "sub" and not an "add," but as I started to explain this and was like, "...since you didn't get any onions in your curry.." she leapt in over my words and was like, "I didn't get enough sauce?", and I had to be like, "No, ma'am, your dish had the standard portion of sauce," and then I had to double-back to what I was going to tell her.

It was totally like she was looking for any reason for us to take off some money or for her to get extra, though she wolfed everything down and wanted more for later.

Anyhow, when her (white) friend left the tip, it was like $5 on a $38 bill.

No comments: