Saturday, March 4, 2023

Another day at the (Thai) restaurant where I now work:

1) All of the tables have these lovely little glass bottles with a few flowers in the them, and this (older white guy) and (older Asian woman) couple who always come in commented on how nice they looked, and if they were there for Valentine's Day.

"Oh, that's probably it," I was like, and I told them I'd ask the owner about it.

And, when I saw the one (female) owner with the tired face, I told her that they liked them a lot, and she said yes, they were there for Valentine's Day, and she also said that they used to do that more, but customers would always knock over the vases and sometimes they would crack the glass and they lost a lot of glass tabletops that way.

"We put them over there," she was like, and she gestured over to the like six small tables we have pushed up against one wall of the restaurant to set out the various takeout orders on, and suddenly I noticed that like four of those small tables were lacking glass tops.

2) This one (scrawny) (late middle-aged) (rough-hewn) (white) guy with a not-unkind face and a lot of tattoos comes in and sits by himself and eats up front, and I notice that he has an Eye of Horus on his arm.

"If you don't mind my asking," I was like, "What's the story with the Eye of Horus on your arm?"

"Oh," he was like. "I'm a Freemason, and they think it's a big deal."

As it turns out, he's a traveling nurse from the Midwest, and is in town because of the medical staffing shortage. He said it's bad everywhere because people retired because of the pandemic, but it's even worse in California where he was a for a while, since there the housing prices and the housing shortage are driving nurses out into other states.

No comments: