Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Some reactions on Roe v. Wade being overturned.

The other evening I caught up by phone a little bit with my one lawyer friend from (Missouri).

She's very upset about Roe v. Wade being overturned, especially since she goes back to Missouri a lot and now for her that's a place where she's not allowed to control what happens inside her body once she crosses the state border, and that's a really disturbing thought for her.

"I knew they would do this," she was like, "But at the same time, you had this little doubt and you also really didn't think that they would do it, because you expect them to respect precedent."

She also said that she's trying not to think about it, but she will go back and read this new decision at some point when she's calmer, along with re-reading Roe v. Wade, which she hasn't read since law school.

With my parents, my mom doesn't have much to say and actually told me that she doesn't have anything to say beyond what's already being said by everyone, but she does think that they'll go after contraception next.

My father is actually very upset, and when I brought it up with him, he said that he didn't even want to talk about it, he was so upset, and then when I asked him more, he says that he thinks that these are just very personal decisions for women to make, and it's entirely out of line for men to go and insert themselves into that decision-making process and decide what women can and can't do with their bodies.

"That's entirely right," my one lawyer friend from college said, when I told her that reaction, when we caught up on the phone a few days later after I had had that conversation with my parents.

As for my one former assisted living client with disabilities's lesbian sister, she was very shaken but still pretty grounded, and she was retreating to her all-female online spirituality group, to be with them and process, especially for those there who might be devastated.

My one former assisted living client with disabilities made up a sign to post on the back of her wheelchair, so that people see it when she goes around in the assisted living apartment building that she now lives in.

No comments: