Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Had to throw out a huge watermelon.

It was the second of the 2 I'd bought, $8 each on sale at the grocery store.

The first I'd opened up and it was chilling in my fridge, and the 2nd was sitting out on my counter, and then like the next day I noticed there was a small pool of clear liquid on the counter that I had to mop up, and the day after that, there was even more, and it had a sour watermelon smell.

So, I looked, and there was like this innocuous inch-and-a-half scratch at the bottom of the watermelon, and that must have been where the water was coming from, and how the bacteria entered.

I set it upside down in the fridge to deal with it later when I had time, and the next day I cut it open, and though there were some sections far away from the cut where the watermelon seemed okay, those parts were few and far between, and so I had to throw the whole thing out.

For that, I used a giant plastic burlap rice bag that I had saved and put into the one cupboard where I put my plastic bags to reuse as kitchen scrap bags; I basically slid the bag over the watermelon, carried it out upright, and just dumped it in the trash bin behind my cottage, and hoped it wouldn't rot and smell too much before the trashman picked it up in a few days.

I wonder now if somehow the watermelon pressed into a wire on my grocery cart from the weight of all of the groceries on top of it, and that's how the cut began.

I mean, if it had had the cut when I had bought it, I think I would have seen some liquid coming out of it and onto the big cardboard bin where it was resting when I picked it out.

No comments: