Saturday, May 28, 2022

Local animals (2 of 2): Squirrel.

The other week I was packing up from reading on the front porch of the front house, and I see my (wizened) (hippie) neighbor standing in the middle of the street, staring at a squirrel a few feet up the base of this one giant tree.

"It fell out of its nest," she was like. "I hope it's okay."

"Ohhh," I was like, and then I explained that like ten or fifteen minutes earlier I had seen way up in the tree a squirrel and a raven squawking at each other, and the squirrel occasionally chasing the raven, and maybe the squirrel was worried about the raven getting at the baby squirrel.

"Oh, I hope it's okay," she was like. "I don't know what to do."

"It should be okay," I was like.  "It's not a baby baby, it's a little bigger, and it's running up that tree trunk all right."

I was also like, "And, that other squirrel is watching over it, so it should be okay."

"Yes," she was like, "It must be his mom. Or maybe his aunt."

"Ohhh," I was like, mildly sadly. "You know, we really shouldn't project sexist stereotypes onto the animal world."

At that, she looked straight at me.

"I agree," she was like, soberly.

No comments: