Friday, May 27, 2022

Local animals (1 of 2): Ducks.

A few weeks ago when I was coming home from the pharmacy that's a little bit of a walk from my house, I wandered by the creek-side park that's tucked away on the other side of downtown, and all of a sudden I hear this just frantic high-pitched bird call, and I realize that there's a mother duck by the creek right by the sidewalk, and that I had spooked a duckling and it had run away up the gradually-elevating sidewalk just yards away from its mother, and now it was frightened and couldn't get back to her.

So, I turned around and went up this path on the hillside, and I just stood there and watched.

The duckling kind of ran back and forth against the curb on the sidewalk, but after like a minute, though, it finally went far enough down on its runnings, to get to the point where the sidewalk opened up to the creek and there be reunited with its mother.

They went a few feet to a muddy uprising with some long grass, and the mom sat there and the duckling was there with her, walking around a bit, but otherwise staying very very close to her.

It had only really stopped its peeping when it finally got into the water right next to its mother.

No comments: