Thursday, March 31, 2022

Looking back on craziness.

Just a few weeks ago, I was thinking back to what my life would be like if I had stayed in the city, how I would still have these grueling commutes where I'd be riding my bicycle across windblown parking lots and four lane highway offramps in order to park it inside the far end of the subway stop, since my last one had gotten vandalized twice this past summer and I couldn't leave it outside anymore at the stop closer to my house, and how I'd still have to be leaving early for my job since public transportation frequency had gone to heck, and how I'd have a decent number of wasted hours every week from that mess, and how I'd be put on edge through almost half of my commutes, by being around severely mentally ill people engaging in agitated behavior, which puts you on guard and also transfers some of that chaotic energy onto you, and other stuff beyond all that as well.

It really seems like a different world, and I can't believe I put up with it as long as I did, though I guess it was like "the frog boiling," where bit by bit stuff changed and I just kind of went along with it, until it ended up at an intolerable point.

When I was chitchatting with my parents around the time of that realization, I mentioned it to them, and my mother was like, "Yeah, and the longer you're away from it, the even crazier it's going to seem to you."

No comments: