Friday, December 31, 2021

New college town people (8 of 8): Bartender.

At the one brewery where I had gone and sat out on the patio on a nice early afternoon after I had first moved, and where I had learned that Tuesdays and Sundays tend to be the super slow days with sometimes only like eleven sales the entire day, I went in on a Tuesday evening since it's a huge warehouse space with tons of room and high ceilings and the few people I had seen there inside were very conscientious with masks, with the bartender wearing them and the customers putting them on when they were moving around the room and not sitting at their seats.

So, it seemed safe enough to go try and sit inside, at least now while it's low Covid and I'm not working with the elderly yet.

So, I went there and was reading some books at the end of the bar far away from all of the other people, and I started talking with the (young) (plaid flannel-shirted) (broad-faced) (knit-capped) (white) girl, and it turns out that she likes languages, too, and she was going to a small regional college for ASL before everything went to heck and she moved home because of Covid.

And, she's not in college right now, and she's not sure if and when she's going back, since she doesn't know what she wants to do, and I suggested maybe checking into speech therapy, and she said she actually had that in elementary school because she couldn't pronounce an "s" after a "th" and her kindergarten teacher noticed that and so she had three years of therapy, which kind of sucked, but the speech therapist also would give her M&Ms, and so all the other kids were jealous when she got up to leave and go there, since they saw the M&Ms, not how she had to read the same sentences and pages over and over for an hour each time, which could get kind of boring.

"That's kind of nice that they didn't stigmatize you," I was like.

"Yeah," she was like, "But I always felt bad because they made the only black kid go, because he talked, what do they call it now, AAVE."

And, she said that he was in the crime listing in the local paper recently and her mom showed it to her, and she felt bad, and she hates it when that happens.

I also talked with her more and she's hesitant about getting the booster shot because she's afraid of needles and she has to go take this other drug first to overcome her phobia of needles before she goes and gets the actual shot, but I explained to her some more about the omicron variant, and she agreed and said that she'd have to look into the booster right away.

And, she said that she suspects that she had Covid in February 2020, before everyone knew about the virus and that it was already circulating in the U.S.

"And don't judge me," she was like, "But I used to do a lot more drugs than I do now, and they have this saying that you can trip the sick away, and I think that's what happened to me," and she said that she felt totally like crap with stuff that she now recognizes as being like Covid systems, but she dropped some acid with her friends and all those symptoms just totally disappeared right afterwards, and that's the only time in her life that that's happened, but it did.

She also said that they keep the patio out front open all winter and I can always use that whenever I want, and that there's this trivia team who bundles up and goes and sits out there all the time, but it's not so much Covid, though they say it is, but it's so they can look at their phones out there and cheat.

No comments: