Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Confession of my one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker.

Like last month when I came into work at the resthome, my one (cool) (Muslim) (Ethiopian) coworker was sitting at the table in our staff office, and after we had gotten through initial greeting formalities, she told me that this one resident who I rarely worked with and who had been on hospice had died.

"I feel so bad," she was like.

"But she was in a lot of pain," I was like.  "It was time."

"I was up all night, I was very upset," she was like.

She then told me that she had died like a half hour after she had gotten off of shift, and that during all that shift she had worked with her.

She would walk into the room, she said, and there she'd be, lying on the bed and hardly breathing, one eye open and one eye not, and not seeing anything if you went up to her.

No comments: