Tuesday, September 15, 2020

3 stories of my one (edgy) (Ethiopian) coworker (3 of 3): Academic subjects.

Later at night on that same shift at the resthome, my one (edgy) (Ethiopian) coworker asked me if I was still studying Ancient Egyptian, and I said that I was, only I wasn't taking my flashcards into work with me anymore, since I was afraid of getting Covid contamination on them.

 "I study German here now," I was like, and I showed her my German vocabulary app on my phone.

"You are good at language," she was like, "You should teach."

At that, I reminded her once again that the sector I'd trained for for years was falling apart, that's why I had switched sectors and began working with the elderly, though who knows, maybe I'd go back one day, if things ever clear up.

And, I said that I do very much enjoy learning languages and learning about other languages, and I asked her what other languages she had studied in her life.

Just English, it turned out; she grew up speaking Amharic in Ethiopia, and she studied English at school.

"Chemistry, math, that what I like," she was like, "But physics no, language no."

"Do people in Ethiopia ever study Italian?", I was like, and I added, "Wasn't Ethiopian an Italian colony or something?"

"No, never," she was like, and she explained to me that Italy was in Ethiopia for 3 years, but then Ethiopians kicked them out.

"Ethiopia and Gabon," she was like, "Only two countries in Africa, to stop the colonizer."

"That's really good," I was like.

"Yes, very good," she was like.

No comments: