Wednesday, January 15, 2020

A theory of loud talkers.


The other week I had a really obnoxious loud talker on the train on my way to work at the house of my one client with disabilities, this (younger) (cleanly dressed) (black) guy who was talking with his friend on speakerphone like people have been doing lately on the train, and he was talking about who he was going to “hoop” (‘hang out’?) with that night, and something about a party on a boat, and something about some girl him or his friend might have been dating or had tried dating or maybe just wanted to hook up with and so they had only pretended to date her.

Anyway, eventually the guy got off at the subway stop for a better local college, but he was pretty obnoxious for like half of my ride, and the car was too packed for me to get up and move down the car and sit somewhere else so I could read my book without having his conversation intrude on me.

So, I mentioned this to my one client with disabilities and her (lesbian) sister when I got to work, and the sister said she hates stuff like that where people talk on speakerphone, but you can’t ever say anything to someone like that since you just don’t know what they’ll do.

She also said that a person like that isn’t really having a conversation always anyways, but is acting out and establishing a presence, kind of like they’re marking territory or something.

“Parties, girls, a boat,” she was like, “That's what he was talking about, he was trying to prove himself, that’s what people do.”

No comments: