Thursday, November 1, 2018

You know what irks me?

The people I talk to forever about my campaign who are clearly interested and might very well end up voting for me, but who then won't sign the petition for me to get on the ballot, and are instead like, "Come back."

If you don't want to sign, just say it, honestly, it's so much more honest and understandable.

Instead, they're all going through the motions like they have to do research, when you know they won't, and the idea that I somehow have the time to go back to them in particular is just laughable, since I just canvassed the section and that and the productivity of uncanvassed streets and my 50 hour workweek between my jobs and my commute make it very unlikely I'll ever come back, at least in this stage of the campaign.

I really don't think people realize how much work it is to get signatures, and how much it helps to get just one more, and how much time it would be for me to go back and find them in particular, as if they as one individual would command that much weight in the world of potential people who could sign for me.

I guess they're trying to be nice?

Instead, they come off as clueless, and the worst kind of clueless, the people-who-think-they're-being-nice-but-aren't, and who perhaps think they're a bigger fish than they are, when they're really just one voter among thousands.

With those type of people, I find that I'd always rather deal with an outright asshole, it's so much more straightforward.

My response, though, is always something like, "Thanks, but I probably won't be back here again during signature season, please keep me in mind for the election, please do call or email me with any questions if you or your friends or your family have any..."

[insert eyeroll emoji here.]

No comments: