Saturday, November 3, 2018

Some people on the subway and in subway stations...:

1) In one subway station on my way to work, a (young) (black) guy just sitting and waiting, hanging his feet off the edge of the platform, till a few minutes before the train comes, when he swings his feet up and rolls over a few times and lays on his side next to a column like six feet in from the platform edge.

2) As I'm in a car in the early afternoon on my way to work, a(n older) (broad-shouldered) (fat) (bald) (black) man with a small circular cloth covered pillow and three red plastic bottle caps on it, calling out loudly to everyone and doing the shellgame with them at full volume, while he announces each and every move to the car very loudly as he holds a roll of (fake) bills like fifties and hundreds, like "best game on earth, folks, see where it ends up, win a hundred dollars..."

Then, when he does that at one end of the car and then finishes and comes to the middle of the car and sits next to me, I'm like, "Man, please don't do that here," and he says something to me and goes ahead, so I'm like, "This is a fraud, you let people win and then you go and switch it," and he starts to speak up something, and then a (young) (Asian-American) woman standing up and holding a rail strap near us jumps in and cuts him off and is like, "He switches it, if you look closely, you can see him!", and then he defends his dignity, but no-one really plays with him or even pays attention to him now, so he sits quietly for a few stops, and then gets off the train.

3) As I'm returning home late at night from work on a quiet car with just me and a (middle-aged) (black) lady and a (cleancut) (young) (white) guy on it, we pull into a station and this train from the other direction is at the platform and just dumping out people onto the platform from just car after car packed with young sweaty concertgoers who were at some downtown music festival and now they're all loud and shouting, and a few are ambling over towards our train but fortunately none get on, and then the doors close and we start pulling away, and I'm like, "I am so glad that they are not on here," and the (black) lady is like, "I know, I was worried too, I wanted that door to close faster!", and at that the (cleancut) (young) (white) guy perks up and looks at us and just laughs, since he agrees, too.

We all bonded.

No comments: