Saturday, April 28, 2018

Addiction of a resthome coworker.

One of my coworkers at the resthome is this (Mexican) (Latina) woman, who has a heavy accent and is somehow both calm and always going around doing work since she can't sit down.

The other week we were talking over the staff meal, and she said that she and her husband have a TV but no cable, and mostly she just reads, sometimes till 3 or 4 in the morning if a book is good.

When I asked her about what kind of books, she said mysteries, and a lot of "true stories," by which she meant "true crime," and she said that she's read so much, that sometimes she picks up and starts a book, only to get a few pages in and realize that she read it years ago.

"Have you read Helter Skelter about the Manson Family?", I was like, and when she was confused, I was like, "Charles Manson was the hippie killer, it's a big thick book," and all of a sudden it was like a light went off, and she was like, "Oh, yeesssss..."

I then asked about cult memoirs, and she didn't read them, so I began wondering if the "serial killers" - "cults" - "weird sex" - "historical Jesus" cluster of interests held out, since I've noticed that if someone likes one of those interests, they usually like a few others if not all.

Then, she began telling me about books she reads, that says everything that the Catholic church teachers isn't true, and I realized that the cluster held.

Later, I was talking with another coworker, and she said that one time our one (Mexican) (Latina) coworker was sitting in the lobby reading a book during downtime from her job, and a call came in over the intercom and she jumped up out of her seat, she was so surprised.

"That book was so good!", she told our other coworker, our other coworker reported to me.

No comments: