Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Passover at the resthome.

So, there was a huge Passover celebration at the one resthome I've begun working at, with like 150 people in both dining rooms, and that included a ton of guests.

During a lull after dinner and before the last 2 cups of wine, I was walking around and checking on residents to see if they needed anything, and while I was doing that, I said hello to a few adult daughters of one resident as I was going by them.

"How are you doing?", one was like to me.

"Good!", I was like.  "Except, I have Dayenu stuck in my head."

(Dayenu means something like 'enough for us,' and it's this really catchy song of gratitude that they sing, with each verse enumerating a miracle or something like that, and the chorus saying about each single miracle that just one would have been "enough for us.")

"That's the way it always is," the other daughter replied.  "It's like, 'Dayenu, already!'"

Also, like midway through the service, the one Balkan Dining Hall Manager was running around in the hallway, and I asked her if I could help her with anything, and she was like, "I dropped my cigarettes, if I don't get a cigarette, I'm going to kill someone!".

So, later I was joking to people, was that part of the Seder, or was that just her?

Since, maybe the Israelites dropped their cigarettes when they fled, or maybe it was commemoration of a threat of the Pharoah to his slaves at court, "If I don't get a cigarette, I'm going to kill someone!".

Besides all of that, we got a really nice staff meal that's what the residents eat, since they're worried about us bringing in any yeast to the place, even though most of the residents are pretty non-observant.

That night, the head nursing aide wandered into the office, though, and she was eating from a bag of Doritos.

I looked at it but didn't say anything.  Maybe she brought it with her, or maybe it was from a vending machine in the laundry room that they had forgotten to clear out.  In either case, it was probably better to just not notice and say anything.

No comments: