Monday, April 4, 2016

Blunt observations on the U.S. from a British person.

The other week when I was downtown I went out for drinks with the one (half British) (half Sudanese) sister of my one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend, who I'm now also friends with.

Anyhow, she's embittered by her debt from law school here, and also from how she's in full time legal work in some job that pays $14 but no benefits, somehow, from categorization.

She was also a bit despondent, too, because she recently had a birthday and she's now in her early 30s and has to start to think about whether she wants to try to have kids.

"I should really just move back to England," she was like.

Then, she was like, "This country is horrible.  The education system's a mess, and you can't afford healthcare.  Why would I want to raise children here?".

All I could think was, OUCH.

But, her perspective doesn't seem off, from what I can tell of her situation and her possibilities.

No comments: