Sunday, March 13, 2016

That CBT stuff is great, but disturbing...

So, like a month ago, I got myself a Cognitive Behavioral Therapy workbook for home, to help me fight my periodic anxiety from being shit on in various amounts from school, work, and family.

The other day when I felt so tired, then, I pulled it out on a Sunday evening to do a few exercises and maybe learn a few things to start my week out on the right foot.

After the intro chapter, I saw what seemed most applicable, and automatically flipped to the chapter on living with uncertainty.

Shockingly, when I parsed the dynamics in my life, I found out that not only were 85% of my worries (well-founded) fears rather than (ill-founded) anxieties, but also that a "reality check" of the past few years shows that it's relatively rational to expect worsening circumstances in the future (e.g. suppressed wages, more unstable jobs, higher expenses).

Sigh.

How disturbing.

No comments: