Sunday, October 25, 2015

RESOLUTION – Must – Show – More – Discipline.

I really need to show more discipline.

Since I got a smartphone and got me on Facebook and Twitter, I have a small compulsion to check news if I’m feeling even a bit of out-of-it, which really cuts down on my productivity.

For years and years I had self-limited so I wouldn’t have those distractions when I worked from home, but now I do.

On top of that, I really got like 3 levels of sh*t to deal with:

1)      How I make ends meet.
2)      Fun middle-term stuff (cute articles, unionization).
3)      Big projects (ideas behind diss., books).

Of the 3, I need to focus on the shit that gets me to #3 the most, b/c you’ll never know when you die.

I often think of Ernestine Rose, such a brilliant person and feminist, but she shot her (female) wad on letters-to-the-newspapers and lectures and essays in periodicals, and so for lack of a book has not gone down as the landmark feminist that she was.

Overall, it seems like it’s important to fight daily battles in the bubbling churning here-today-and-gone-tomorrow media, but you also got to make sure that shit gets in books, otherwise there’s no real real lasting effect of your thought, since it has no staying power.

From what I’ve read of Madonna interviews, she really prizes discipline, and credits it for what she’s been able to accomplish.

Similarly, when I read about someone like Cesar Franck, even though much of his shit was uncredited in his lifetime, he composed every morning, and it all worked out in the end.

It’s tough, though, b/c I work so much and am split between so many different jobs, to find time to concentrate and really *work*.

Plus, like Pope Francis said in his one Christmas-time address to the Curia, something that everyone should think about, is whether they become self-important and don’t allow themselves to rest.

I kind of recognize myself in those words.

On the one hand, I see that I don’t rest enough.


On the other hand, I look at my CV or resume and whatever-the-fuck-have-you, and I just don’t see enough.

No comments: