Monday, October 26, 2015

Scary shit with Intergenerational Wealth.

The other week, my mom told me not to worry about my recommended preventative periodontal surgeries, and asked me how much they would cost (answer; $1800 a year, for 2 years in a row, I think, from what I can make out of the insurance).

She said that she hoped that that would help me, since I then wouldn’t have to worry about that.

I told her that it was nice, but on the other hand it was disturbing to see our family cannibalizing its wealth like that.

“I mean honestly,” I was like, “For all the years that I’ve worked, I still have to worry about a few thousand a year?”

I then added that student loans hadn’t kicked in yet, and that other people I know had noticed this, that their parents or others of their parents’ generation had to keep anteing up money for stuff that they should be secure for by now, but simply aren’t, and won’t be for a while, and not only that, but probably won’t be able to do anything like that for their children when they get the same age.

“Though I know that you don’t want to hear that,” I was like.


My mom then confessed that she had noticed that, that her parents’ generation was able to save up a little, and her generation a lot, and now that process just isn’t happening any more.

She said her generation was a "peak".

No comments: