Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Odd Mexican drinking ways.

I’ve noticed that Mexicans have a disproportionately smaller share of bars than non-Mexican Americans, and at least some of their drinking energy is skimmed off into this drinking-at-restaurants arrangement that non-Mexican Americans don’t quite have in the same way.

I remember years ago, for this one World Cup soccer match, me and a (Mexican) friend and my one lawyer friend from Missouri were at a restaurant on the business strip in a super (Mexican) part of town, and he ordered the cheesy dip thing with tortillas, and we all got beers to watch the game.

It was almost like everyone wanted to drink, but you had to go somewhere and order food too, to sit around in the restaurant and watch the game.

I was thinking of this the other Friday night when I was in the taqueria near my house, and there was this group of four (Mexican) guys who BYOBed and had an empty 12-pack cardboard case of Dos Equis or some shit like that on the floor and a bucket of the beer chilling on the table, who were getting hammered and eating before going out to go do something else.


It almost felt to me like they just wanted to go get hammered, but had been socialized into eating food at the same time.

No comments: