Sunday, November 16, 2014

Email from a hispanic Hungarian.

The other week at a lecture me and my one (Asian-Canadian) friend ended up sitting next to this older (white) woman from South America who we began chatting with forever, and when we finally traded emails, she asked me how my last name was pronounced, and when she seemed unduly interested, I asked her if she too was Hungarian, and she said yes, and then explained that her parents were Hungarian Jews who came over in the 30s because there weren't restrictions on higher education in the country that they emigrated to.

Then, when she then said her last name, I spelled it correctly out loud, which impressed her even more.

She later sent an email saying hello, and asking me if I spoke any Hungarian; when we talked in person, I had asked her and she said she had spoken some but not in years, but she had never asked me in return.

Interestingly, she closed off her email -

Szérbusz!

- which is the standard greeting "szervusz", but with the v-b confusion that a lot of Spanish-speakers make!

LOL.

No comments: