Thursday, November 20, 2014

Memories of get-out-the-vote in Wisconsin:

1) One old man at the door, after he told me that he had already voted and I thanked him:  "I hope that we can get that son of a bitch out of office."

2) Another old man, after saying he's a Democrat despite his stance against abortion, and decrying how much young people today sleep around:  "Back in my day, it was special.  I tried to get in my wife's pants for the entire 5 years that we dated, but it didn't happen until our wedding night.  And that made a difference."

3) Bartender at the union hall election results-watching party, talking about visiting her parents in the northern part of the state:  "Everywhere you went, there was just Walker signs and only Walker signs, I didn't see a single Burke sign at all.  So I brought some up!".

4) That same bartender said a lot of people supported the governor since their taxes went down - not realizing that the change in their tax bill was because the county had devalued their houses and lowered their property taxes.

5) Another guy at the union hall election results-watching party, talking about the western, rural part of the county:  "There's just no Democratic signs, you think there would be at least one disgruntled farmer somewhere!"

6) At the get-out-the-vote site, I meet a teacher named "Dream".

"My parents were hippies," she was like, after she introduced herself and said her name.

Then, she spoke of how health care reform mattered so much to her, she organized as many as 3 phonebanks a week out of her home to get people to call and rally people to support its passage, and when Obama was speaking at a rally in Green Bay, she and a handful of others were invited to meet him as a big 'thank you' to them for their efforts.

"I'm Dream," she told Obama.

"Yes, I recognize your name," he was like (since he had been informed of her volunteer efforts?).

"My parents were hippies," she shrugged.

"That's cool," Obama was like.  "Mine were too."

No comments: