Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Insight: African-American politics with Illinois governor's race.

A (middle-aged) (black) woman who works the library security guard desk who I talk with gave me her perspective on the Illinois governor's race:

1) Gov. Quinn announced he'd try to live 30 days on minimum wage (an announcement he quickly revoked), and she thinks that pissed a lot of (black) voters off.

"It's like, who are you to do that, when I *live* this," she was like.

2) Rauner tried to split the black vote by:

- meeting with (black) voters in highly-publicized meetings.
- getting endorsements from a handful of (black) pastors.
- running late campaign ads w/video footage of legendary (black) mayor Harold Washington shitting on Pat Quinn.

All together, this sowed enough confusion where some (black) people may have voted GOP, but more likely just got a few doubts planted in the heads of enough people and those people decided to just stay home.

. . .

Later I told her that those (black) pastors disgusted me, because they sounded like true whores.

"Not all pastors," I was like, "I mean, just the ones that sell themselves for money.  That's the new line in politics that's dividing constituencies, people who do shit for money and the people who don't."

"I know," she was like, "And I agree.  But I always remembers, God is watching and sees everything.  They may get what they want now, but they won't down the road."


No comments: