Saturday, October 4, 2014

Odd British Vocab: Veruca.

This summer, the one (half British) (half Sudanese) sister of my one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend, who now is also my friend, was telling me how her boyfriend had gotten Athlete’s Foot all up his legs.

Then, I traded off a story of someone I know who got a wart at the gym from walking around in the shower without sandals, and when he went to the doctor's to get it taken out, it just went down and down into his foot, and they had to remove a chunk the size of a small walnut from his foot and there now was this big pit at the side of his sole.

“Oh,” she was like, “We call them verucas.”


At that, I suddenly realized that the “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” character Veruca Salt was probably named after that, and asked her if that’s what she thought was the case.

“Oh, definitely,” she was like.

(I wonder now if "veruca salt" is a remedy against verucas, like salt you put on canker sores?)

No comments: