Saturday, February 8, 2014

Supermarket happenings.

The other week I was at the supermarket at like 8pm at night on a weekday after an exceptionally long and tiring day of deskwork, and after I came back to my cart from the aisle with Ramen noodles, I noticed that it wasn't my cart parked in the usual unobtrusive spot at the head of the aisle, but rather some other cart full of tightly-tied produce bags.

I looked around, and some (Asian-American) woman spoke to me helpfully and was like, "I don't think that's your cart," and I suddenly noticed this (older) (Mexican) guy behind the bakery counter eying me suspiciously, like I was on drugs or something.

At that, I went back to the produce area where I had just come from, and found my cart sitting over by some oranges that were on sale, so I picked it up, and then I wheeled it back over to where I had been, the (older) (Mexican) guy continuing to stare at me suspiciously.

I was so embarrassed and a little freaked, so I fled further down the store to do my shopping there, only realizing later that I never returned the other cart to where it had been.  I decided not to go back, though, since that would just make things worse somehow, I thought.

I also realized that I must have taken the wrong cart b/c of a problem w/oranges: the sale oranges by where I parked my cart were green and not that good, so I had walked over to some other oranges to get a bag of them, and when I had gone back to where my cart was by the sale oranges, I must have taken the wrong cart at that point, just taking some other cart also parked over by the sale oranges.

Just as I was going to checkout, too, I noticed my oranges weren't in my cart's basket, and I realized I must have left them in the other people's cart.

So, I got more oranges, checked out, and fled the store, embarrassed.

I wonder if this happens to other people.  I haven't heard of it, but I'm guessing it does. 

I wonder what the etiquette is in this situation?

No comments: