Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sightreading Pope Francis’s tweets.



The other week I had a Latin lesson w/my one very good Latin student, and I printed out some recent tweets of Pope Francis so we could kick off the lesson by sightreading a few of them.

One of the most recent ones was something like –

Ostium tui cordis pulsat dominus.  Suspendistine de bulla titulum “Nolo turbari”?

(The Lord is knocking on the door of your heart.  Have you hung a sign from the doorknob, “I don’t want to be disturbed”?)

- and since I always make fun of the classist and perhaps even corrupt president of our university during lessons, I was like, “And do you know what President [- - -] would say to that?”

“‘Yes’?”, my one good Latin was like.

“No!”, I was like, “He would say, ‘Of course I haven’t, I had someone do it for me’!”.

And then my one good Latin student impersonated the president and was like, “‘And I made them take the stairs.’”

. . .

For our next class, I’m having him revise the university’s (Latin) motto into 2-3 parody versions reflecting the current president’s values.

No comments: