Friday, October 12, 2012

Wisc. Volunteering (2 of 2): Moms.

For whatever reason, I had a lot of moms with young kids who were undecided voters, when I volunteered in Wisconsin this past weekend.

None would identify issues, but I gave my spiel about how the economy is mine, and even though it isn't where we want it, Obama has the leadership we need, and then I said I was from Michigan, and that it would have been catastrophic if the auto industry had gone under.

"Those loans have been paid back ahead of time or on schedule, and Mitt Romney wrote an editorial 'Let Detroit Go Bankrupt'," I said.

I then said that my relatives lived near Detroit and it would have cost 1 out of 5 jobs, and where I'm originally from, it's the north part of the state with a tourist economy just like Wisconsin, and "there wouldn't have been any tourists left."

I then said Obama wasn't thinking about politics because that decision was unpopular at the time, he was thinking about what's best for the country and for the middle class.

A few of them got enthusiastic and nodded when I said stuff like that.

One 30-something lady (Mexican-American) was a bit of a devil's advocate and said she's looking at both sides, but we talked a bit, and her 30-something (white) husband came to get some Obama lit before going over to his friend's house.

"He's a rabid Republican," he's like, "I want to give him some of this and set him off."

"You sure about that?", I was like.  "He's probably got guns.  You'll be laughing, and the next thing you know, he's shooting up the ceiling."

"Concealed carry," the mom was like, smiling and joking.

"I'm not kidding you, people are nuts like that," I was like, and then I told them about a friend's dad from Terre Haute, Indiana, this short pudgy old doctor guy with white hair and moustache and glasses who's always laughing and talking, and who walks around with a handled paper shopping bag full of old old newspapers spilling out of it.

"My friend's fiancee saw that, and she thought, 'Oh, that's odd, but that's just [her fiance's name]'s dad, he thinks he'll read all those old newspapers'  Then, she talked to her fiance, and he said his dad actually carries a rifle under there, no shit."

They loved the story, and the husband laughed, and I thanked them and got going, and as I walked down the steps the husband gave his wife a kiss goodbye as she held their baby.


No comments: