Monday, October 8, 2012

Latin Students (1 of 2): Couldn't ask for better.

The one faculty assistant at school who self-studied with a common Latin textbook under my direction is a *great* student: dedicated, serious, talented, and keen on memorization.

Also, he wants to read Classical texts, but is fine with Medieval and Christian texts too, rather than dismissive of them, as many people into Classical texts are.

To start out now that he's done with the textbook, we were reading some of the Carmina Burana and some easy but fun saints' lives that have condensations in the Legenda Aurea, and now we're switching out the Carmina Burana for the introduction to Ovid's "Art of Love".

Sometimes his questions are on things he's forgotten or stuff he's misanalyzed, but many times they're very perceptive and catch me off guard.  It's very much a pleasure to teach him - and I wonder if I was that sort of student back in college when I was taking Old Church Slavonic.

No comments: