Sunday, October 21, 2012

Memories of Bars (3 of 3): Mi Lingua Favorida.

On the night of barhopping to celebrate my (Asian-Canadian) friend's passing prelims, we mostly were on the edge and within the confines of this hipster neighborhood, but every once in a while we would light upon a vestigial bar from previous, now mostly-effaced populations.

One, we walk in, and who knew, it was Mexican, and there's like 2 (female) bartenders, and a couple of darker, brick-shaped guys with moustaches down by the end of the bar.

Above the bar, too, there was a huge painting of a naked woman reclining, and showing off her black, carefully-drawn pubic hairs.

So we order, and I ask the older (female) bartender, "What is that?", pointing to the painting.

"I don't know," she said, shrugging and laughing, suddenly breaking her impassive face.

"Well," I was like, "I want a leaf."

"What?", she was like, squinting and turning her ear in towards me.

"A leaf.  Una lista."

"?Una lista?", she was like.

"Yes, for her!", and at that I pointed at the painted woman's thatch, and the bartender looked up and saw what I was pointing at and laughed.

Later, me and my friend that behind the bar they had this mug shaped like a giant breast, and you could drink out of its nipple, and its handle was a naked woman, and over on the other side of the bar they had like a wooden trophy plaque, only it had a pair of women's breasts in a red bikini on it.

When we were finishing up and the bartender came up to see if we wanted more drinks, I gestured outside to a tree near the door and was like, "?Quieres una lista, para ella?", and the woman laughed again, though more softly and generously this time, and shook her head and said good night.

No comments: