Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Some Wisconsin Voters (2 of 3): 2nd set.

4) I was talking with this younger multiracial woman who answered the door at the home of an older woman she was caring for. 

I gave her some info (she wanted to know some early voting stuff), and then I asked her if the older woman wanted some too, and she invited me inside, where a very very old woman was laid back in a chair with her eyes closed.

"HI," she was like, "THERE'S A YOUNG MAN HERE WITH VOTING INFORMATION, WOULD YOU LIKE SOME?", she asked the old woman, and when she didn't answer, she turned to me and was like, "She's asleep."

I then told her about absentee ballot info, for her if she was interested when she waked up, and told her that it's legal for someone to help her fill it out, if she's unable to hold a pen, that person just has to sign an affadavit on the ballot under threat of a felony, if they don't convey the wishes of the person they're helping to fill it out.

She said she'd tell her, and then as we walked out and I said good bye, she was like, "You have a blessed day, you are so nice and genuine."

5) Going to one house, I passed by some carpenters, and like I always, I greet people and ask them how they're doing, and then when they ask me, I say something about how I'm tired, from walking around so much working my butt off for Obama and other Democrats.

At that point, I can start a conversation, and get them voter info.

This middle-aged, kind of fat (white) carpenter guy was gruff, but told me he was a Democrat.

Then, at the next house, I met this (hispanic-American) mom who was running out the door to pick up her daughter from gymnastics, but who I talked to briefly and said she was undecided.

"What'd she say?", the carpenter said as she left.

"Undecided," I was like, and at that he got a confused look and shrugged, like what the heck is she thinking, and amazement at how some people just don't get who's on your side.

6) A fellow volunteer was this older (Indian) woman who came to the country in the 1950s for an engineering degree, and got into IT and then banking.

She said outsourcing scares her...  She's proud India is now technically capable, but to have "the work" there and "all the bosses" here means that no one in the U.S. really knows a program top-to-bottom, which was the case through the 80s and early 90s.

She also said companies have abandoned in-house training, which made more creative and useful workers, and now you just have these narrowly-trained people that makes you money in the short-term, but not the long-term.

She also said banks are *way* too big - one international one she works for had a $6 *billion* dollar IT budget - and that she's noticed the bigger the bank, the more callous the behavior of the executives.

No comments: