Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Some Wisconsin Voters (1 of 3): 1st set.

This past Sat. I went up to volunteer in Wisconsin again...

1) This one guy's sister is the (Democratic) registrar of deeds, so I ended up chatting with him.  He was an older white guy in his late 50s with a pot belly, and he was loading up his truck to go sell stuff at a flea market.

"I'd wear a button and campaign there," he was like, "But I don't want to p*ss off Republicans, they're the ones with all the money!".

2) An older sister of a large family was out, but this lanky high school-aged (African-American) kid answered the door, and there was like an 8 year-old (African-American) girl there and a couple young (African-American) kids running around behind him.

"We like Obama," the 8-year old girl said, "Not that other guy...  What's his name, again?"

"Romney," I was like.

"Yeah, Romney," she said, and from behind her one of the young kids (a boy) started yelling out, "Romney sucks booty!", and the kids all laughed and the younger girl started yelling it too.

I gave them all fistbumps when I left, to hype them up.

3) After my first walk pack (of canvassing) of the day, I was near this soda fountain/gift shop (from 1911!) that was across from the Jockey Shorts factory building.

I stopped through, and on impulse I bought some foam cheese wedge earrings for a friend.

As I was walking to check-out, I saw this older (white) woman trying on a bracelet, so I was like, "Hey, this is the jewelry you should be looking at," and showed her the cheese wedge earrings.

"Oh, ya big spender!", she said, with a Wisconsin accent.

As I was getting done at checkout, she came up to me again and asked me where I found those, in the store.

No comments: