Sunday, October 14, 2012

Addendum Addendum.

My big tactic I'm using this time is if I'm talking with an undermotivated young person who was a first time voter in 2008 but isn't sure if they want to go to the polls, is to hype up Wisc. Senatorial candidate Tammy Baldwin, and then drop in at the end, "And I just found out last week that she's a lesbian."

At that, people perk up, and I'm like, "Yeah, this is a historic election, if you vote for her, you'll be able to say the rest of your life that you voted for her, when you see her name in history books."

Then, I'm like, "Heck, her name is already in history books, what we're talking about actually is if she gets enough support, it will be bolded in them," and I make a little motion like I'm highlighting words in a high school history textbook right in front of me.

It's amazing how enthused that gets young people. 

One 20-year old white guy who's living at home with his parents was a bit psyched, so I gave him the lit on Baldwin, and was like, "As a reminder, so you remember who she is," and I put it against my clipboard and drew two interlocking female symbols next to her face on the brochure.  "Lesbian."

This other pale, kind of fat mid-20something girl with a lock of Koolaid red hair and all black clothes also was psyched, and I was like, "Hey, it's something you can tell your kids when they're older and people look back on this," as they were running around on the porch with some neighbor children.

I think you can only really say stuff like that with people you peg as liberals but seem undermotivated.

No comments: